Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Steering Towards a Better Life

It's been a mystery to me as to why and how some people display themselves to others. When I was younger, I didn't care about my personal hygiene or how my surroundings showed to anyone. And, quite frankly, my personality also displayed these actions as well.

Needless to say, these actions did effect my life. As much as I tried to get ahead, there was always something holding me back with my goals. At that point, I didn't realize it was me!

A while back, someone near and dear to me had gotten a great job working in welding. Everyday he'd come home, kick off his boots, grab his Dew and enjoy the evening. Hell I can't blame him, after a long day of work, kicking off your work boots and relaxing is a great way to unwind after sweating, working hard and dealing with the heat. After a week of him not bathing or showering, his funk was over ripe. Hell, a dog fart would have been a breath of fresh air!

After 10 days of funk, I finally had to speak my mind. "Hey are you going to shower?" I was shock when he replied, "Why should I shower, I'm not out to impress anyone?" I couldn't help it...I lost it! "Oh you definitely are NOT impressing anyone - but you sure are offending everyone with the way you smell. Get in that shower and clean up - make sure you use soap and water! With the way you smell, the dog thinks you're some crud he'd like to roll around in."

I know the Peanuts character Pig-pen always had friends. But his friends only wanted to play with him when they needed another body for those bigger activities outside when another person is needed. Like my friend, he always wondered why no one really wanted to hang out regularly. His depression grew stronger and deeper as his funk grew riper.

By all means I would never say that I'm the problem solver for issues like this, but I have to say when someone gives you a boost to help one come out of their funk. And a good majority of the time it's the funk that holds one back and isolates them. When I was younger, there were times where I felt like the Wicked Witch of the West and any aspects of water would make me melt away.

It became a fight for myself. I didn't want to shower. I was content the way I was and didn't want to change. But when I would finally get into the shower, I didn't want to get out because it felt so good! It was like that old witch feeling was finally washed away and I arose from the suds feeling like I can take on the world.

When I started to change my hygiene habits in my life, I started working for the Appleton Public School System as a janitor. As I was forced to clean up after Junior High students, there were many things I started to learn about people's habits and behaviors on sanitary discipline. I'm not going to freak you out about the many different gross things I would find that kids at that age would do - and a lot of it was just for attention or aggression release.

I am happy that once I started working as a janitor, my cleanliness attitude had made a drastic change. Growing up as a little gross slob had changed. I believe I started getting OCD with cleaning. At one point, my bedroom in my parent's home looked like a hoarders starter kit. A path from the door to the bed. After working as a janitor for a few months, I had my bedroom cleaned from floor to ceiling and wall to wall. After changing my surroundings and personal sanitary habits, many different things started to enhance my life.

After years of being a boarder-line hoarder/slob, I have noticed a huge change in my attitude plus how I would like others to acknowledge me as a person. Now don't get me wrong. My obsessive Compulsive Disorder hasn't taken over my life where it has become out of control. Yes I do allow my home to get messy. Yes I am a slob in areas where I utilize often. For instance, my computer area is a disorderly organized mess. I know where items are which are important. As for the rest of my living space, it's clean. It might be a little dusty, but for the most part it's clean. We never have leftover food, food wrappers or that sort of stuff flung around.

I also have a really bad OCD for my kitchen. I must have everything in their proper place once it's clean. There is an absolute must of which utensils go into the drawer next to the stove. Dishes have a certain place in the cupboard. All food in the cupboards have to be in certain areas. It drives me crazy when I find spices lingering with the can goods or pasta. Glasses, bowls or plates don't belong with the spices. All baking goods must be in one area and not spread throughout the pasta, can goods or spices. The only spices allowed with the bake goods are the ones only used with baking.

The hair on the nap of my neck stands on end every time I walk into a room where there is a mountain of dirty and clean clothes. The smell of molded dried up food resting on dishes under the bed makes me want to vomit. Then to top off a curdling stomach. Just imagine the site of when someone vomited on their bathroom door that has been dried and embedded into the paint almost 2 years prior. And if you're not gagging yet...peak under the bed where you can find a few dildos with dried feces sticking to the carpet.

There is only so much a person can do to help another who prefers to live in those aspects. Plus the other person doesn't understand how their living habits effects others. So many times these aspects have no meaning towards those they co-habitat with.

One of my best friends is a hoarder. I was really amazed how fast he grew into the sickness. The last time I was in his home, there was a very narrow passage throughout his home. The fear of stumbling overwhelmed me. Hell, the fear of being buried alive by mountains of paper, clothes and items which he felt a connection. What I find amazing is that he still owns his very first car he ever owned. And it shouldn't surprise you that he also owns every vehicle he's ever owned in his entire life. This doesn't mean that all these vehicles run or are operational. But he does own them. So many people have offered to buy one or more from him.  But he won't sell any because they all hold too much sentimental value to him.

It often makes me wonder what things are developing through another person's mind as I watch them progress into this type of sickness. I discover the many hints said towards correcting the problem helps to a degree. No matter how much one loves and cares for an individual who is progressing into these illnesses; with plenty of guidance, backed by loving assurance helps steer those towards a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment